Where in the world is Rick???

It's time to study . . .

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Reflections

Most of you know that I graduated from Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga, TN. The school was founded in 1946 by Dr. Lee Roberson. He died last Sunday at the age of 97. He was a faithful man of God that had a tremendous influence in the world. He started Tennessee Temple Schools, Camp Joy, Worldwide Faith Missions, WDYN radio station, Union Gospel Mission, countless missions churches, and much more. The amazing thing is that he was humble in all of his actions and never took credit for the tremendous things that God allowed him to do. Dr. Roberson retired in 1983 from Highland Park Baptist Church as pastor and as president of Tennessee Temple, but continued to preach all over the world.

I wanted to go to the memorial service at HPBC, but with finals I could not do it. I listened to a bit of it online and the service was about 3 hours long. Dr. Roberson was a tremendous inspiration for the Christian world and I would not be where I am if it was not for him. Although I only "met" him once (shaking his hand at graduation) and I did hear him speak several times, this is not the legacy that he imparted to me. While at TTU, I rededicated my life to the Lord and decided to follow Him into full-time Christian service, which is why I am training at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary to become a chaplain in the USAF. Without his dedication, faithfulness, and service, TTU and HPBC would not be the great institutions that they are today.

I remember his charge to the TTU graduates of 1999. He encouraged us to remember three things: Temple, who we are, and who we are in Christ. It's amazing how a simple message of just a few minutes has stuck in my head. That was Dr. Roberson. He typically spoke a sermon in 20 minutes, but it was straight and to the point.

Thank you, Dr. Roberson. Thank you for your faithfulness. Thank you for leading with integrity. Thank you for standing for the fundamentals of the faith. Thank you for being an inspiration. Thank you for being an example.

The question that I have been thinking about for a few days is: What is the legacy that I am leaving for others? Is anyone watching me or trying to pattern their life after my example? Am I leading others to Christ? I know that I will never be a worldwide leader in Christian circles like Dr. Roberson was, but am I a leader in the circles where God has placed me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home